Texas Mutual Insurance Company, the state's leading workers' compensation provider, has a strong foundation of success. We insure 40% of the Texas workers' compensation market. More than 62,000 business owners rely on us to meet the needs of their 1.3 million workers every day. We answer the call by providing exceptional safety services, top-notch medical care if an accident occurs, claims handling processes designed to get employees well and back to work, and a zero-tolerance fraud policy.
Our company also has the financial strength to deliver on our promises. Last year alone, Texas Mutual wrote more than $1.1 billion in premium and we work hard to be good financial stewards for our policyholder owners. Our financial strength is underscored by an A.M. Best rating of "A."
Our policyholder owners are the backbone of Texas' economy and we're proud to offer coverage that supports their financial strength
All that we do is guided by our vision, mission, values and strategic goals, which we encourage you to read about below
The History of Texas Mutual Insurance Company
In the late 1980s and early 1990s, workers' compensation rates were skyrocketing, and few insurance companies were willing to provide coverage for Texas employers. In 1991, the Texas Legislature created Texas Mutual Insurance Company (then called the Texas Workers' Compensation Insurance Fund) to ensure the availability and affordability of workers' compensation coverage. In 1992, the Fund began underwriting workers' compensation insurance, and in 1994, it became the state's insurer of last resort for businesses that were unable to find coverage elsewhere.
On June 15, 2001, Governor Rick Perry signed House Bill 3458 into law, changing the company's name to Texas Mutual Insurance Company and authorizing the company to operate as a domestic mutual insurance company (with continued political oversight by the state). The bill maintained statutory mandates that the company remain a competitive force in the marketplace, guarantee the availability of workers' compensation insurance in Texas, and act as insurer of last resort.
The company is governed by a nine-member board of directors. Four board members are elected by the policyholders, and the remaining five board members, including the chair, are appointed by the governor and confirmed by the Senate. The board is responsible for setting rates and directing the company's business. The company's senior leadership manages its internal operations.
Our VisionWe will be the model provider of workers' compensation insurance through innovative, responsive partnerships with our customers and each other.
The company provides a stable, competitive source of workers' compensation insurance for Texas employers, acts as insurer of last resort, and helps to prevent on-the-job injuries and illnesses and minimize their consequences.
- Integrity. We, as responsible stewards of the Company's mission and assets, adhere to high ethical standards.
- Service. We provide excellent service to our customers.
- Safety. We put employee safety first.
- Respect. We treat each other and our stakeholders with dignity and respect.
- Effectiveness. We use our resources effectively.
- Teamwork. We work together to achieve common goals.
- Innovation. We encourage initiative and change in a dynamic business environment.
Our Strategic Goals
We support our mission with the following strategic goals:
- Reduce the costs of on-the-job injuries and illnesses to employees, employers, and communities.
- Support economic development by providing a stable, competitive source of workers' compensation insurance.
- Provide top-tier, customer-focused products and services.
- Develop the professional knowledge and skills of all employees, and provide effective leadership development and successor development programs.
- Maintain the company's financial soundness throughout market cycles.
- Improve productivity and services by continually improving processes and using technology effectively and innovatively.
- Attract and retain quality employees by recognizing their contributions.
- Foster effective relationships with the agent community.