Employer workers' comp FAQs

En español

Remember: These answers apply only if your employer provides workers' compensation insurance through Texas Mutual Insurance Company. Texas employers must tell their employees whether they provide this insurance.

What is workers' compensation insurance?

Workers' compensation insurance is a way to pay for some of the costs for employees and their families when:

  1. An employee is injured on the job,
  2. An employee has an occupational disease,
  3. An employee is killed on the job.

If you are injured or have an occupational disease

What should I do if I am injured on the job or have an occupational disease?

You must report the injury or occupational disease promptly. Find out about Employee Rights and Responsibilities.

Your employer must report the injury to Texas Mutual Insurance Company. Your employer must give you a copy of the injury report and a copy of Employee Rights and Responsibilities. Find out about employer responsibilities.

If you have a claim with Texas Mutual Insurance Company, you can get more information by calling (800) 859-5995. Please ask for your adjuster.

What benefits does Texas Mutual provide?

What benefits does Texas Mutual workers' compensation insurance provide if I am injured on the job or have an occupational disease?

If your claim is accepted by Texas Mutual Insurance Company, you may receive two kinds of benefits:

  1. Medical benefits, which pay for reasonably required medical treatment of your injury or occupational disease.
  2. Indemnity benefits, which if you are off work because of your injury, may repay you for some lost wages. If a doctor determines that you have permanent impairment from your injury, indemnity benefits pay for this loss in accordance with state law.

How do I verify the status of my benefit check?

Call (800) 859-5995 between 6 a.m. and 9 p.m.

What benefits do I receive?

What benefits do I receive if I am a family member of an employee who dies as a result of an on-the-job injury or illness?

If your claim is accepted by Texas Mutual Insurance Company, you may receive weekly benefits. These benefits are paid to surviving spouses and minor children. Other family members may receive benefits in some cases. Payments may be divided among eligible family members.

Burial benefits are paid for actual burial costs, up to a maximum of $10,000.

If you move

What if I move to a new address while receiving workers' compensation benefits?

You should notify us of any change of address as soon as possible. This will help ensure you receive your benefit checks and other important information about your claim in a timely manner.

To notify us of any address change, call (800) 859-5995, or write to:

Texas Mutual Insurance Company
P.O. Box 12029
Austin , Texas 78711-2029

We also suggest that you submit a change of address form with the U.S. Postal service. Go to the U.S. Postal Service website for additional details about changing your address.

Please note: We only accept change of address calls or correspondence from the injured worker or the injured worker's legal representative.